Sunday, January 25, 2009

England Update



I’m sitting at a corner table in what has become a favorite Sunday afternoon spot of mine... the pub of the nearby Channings Hotel. 1) it’s a quiet, authentic English pub with free wi-fi, and 2) so far I’ve found the food here to be better than average (though a bit expensive, but what here isn’t). Though I haven’t been to any new, exciting places these last couple weeks, I thought I’d update you all on life in Bristol.

Things have been busy these last couple weeks. At Rolls, the bonuses of some depends on a project I‘m hoping to finish this week. Needless to say, folks are anxious to see it successfully finished. And I’ve been asked to present our results on another project to some big wigs in February. That will be a good opportunity to get some exposure in front of upper management... a chance to assure them that the money they’re investing to have me here is going to good use.

My social life has been fairly busy as well. A friend and I have been playing squash (racquetball) at a nearby leisure center (sports/exercise facility with onsite pub. If you have not yet noticed, the pub is a key component to English culture). My colleagues and I took our Indian colleague out for dinner last week to commemorate his 6 months work assignment with us. And I’ve met several new Italian friends of a friend.

And when I’m not doing all the above, Low Cost continues to be interesting. I’m waiting on a couple replies to a couple new quotes I’ve been working on. A positive reply to both would be very exciting.

Ahh... here comes my food. Excuse me...

Mmm... that lasagna was quite good. In general, I’m beginning to enjoy the food a bit more here. Not because English food is getting better, but I’m slowing figuring out what I like and where I like it. For example, earlier this week I found a good, simple pizza and yesterday I think I found the best burger in Bristol (Certified Aberdeen-angus beef). And ealier this week we took our Indian friend to one of my favorite curry houses.

As you know it’s been a busy week back in the States. We swore in our new president (twice). The majority here are excited to see Obama move into the Oval Office. Though I’m not surprised because 1) Barack comes across well on UK tele (as compared to recent Republican leadership), and 2) his promised policies will take US policy in a similar direction to that of the UK.

Speaking of US presidents, I saw Frost / Nixon last night. Good movie. I would certainly recommend it.

Hope this post find you all well.

Take care,
ExPat

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like the pic -- looks like a good place to pass a few hours on a Sunday.

Let me know your AIM and hopefully we can arrange a chat. Mine is jarvism. If you ever want to surprise Matthew, his is theobaldm.

Take care,
Megan

Anonymous said...

Patrick...I heard about the record snowfall in England. Is that affecting you and how are people dealing with it?

Valerie