Saturday, May 31, 2008

On My Way (5-25-2008)

We’ll, here I sit in Newark’s Liberty airport waiting to board my flight to Bristol, UK. I wanted to make one last post before I leave the States, even though I probably won’t be able to upload this to the blog until well after I arrive. Even so, I wanted to record my thoughts pre-Bristol.

I found out I was clear to travel Thursday, just three days ago. We secured my flight Friday. And not until just before we left for the airport this afternoon did I have everything together for the trip, both at the office and at home. The one nice thing about making the trip this weekend is not only is it a three day weekend in the States (due to Memorial Day) but it’s also a three day weekend in the UK. Monday is a bank holiday for the British. They have these bank holidays several times a year. I’m not sure yet what they’re for, but I’m sure I’ll be finding out soon (I’ll let you know).

I left Indy just before the 500 was to end. You could tell as we taxied away from the gate in Indy because there were probably about a dozen private jets lined up on the tarmac with doors open and red carpets rolled out… all waiting for their soon to be arriving VIP passengers. The flight from Indy to Bristol a Continental Boeing 737 was pretty empty. I sat next to the window in a row of three by myself so I could stretch my legs.

So you may be wondering what’s going through my head as I depart on this adventure. We’ll, many things. For one, I wonder what life will be like 2-3 years from now when I return. What will be different? Some people will have moved. (Phillip and Kelly?) Some people will be married (congrats Crowell). Some new people may exist (thanks to Phillip and Kelly?). Who will be president? How much will a gallon of gas cost? How will Indianapolis and my neighborhood have changed? What will be the same? How will I have changed?

From a professional standpoint I am excited to go. I feels good to sort of start fresh and the work I will be doing will be interesting. The projects I know I’ll be working on at this point will be challenging and exciting. I’m sure working with my new colleagues will be fun (though hard to beat my previous colleagues). And not to mention the doors this opportunity may open in the future. Rolls-Royce thinks highly of their employees with international experience.

And yes, I feel a bit anxious as well… mostly from a personal standpoint. Having to leave friends and family behind is not easy and I’m sorry for what I’ll miss. But with technology the way it is these days there no reason we can’t keep in touch. And on the flip side, who know what I might miss if I don’t go.

So the plan is I land in Bristol in the morning (UK time), a chauffeur car picks me up (I hope he’s holding a sign that says ‘Mr. Reiger’) and takes me to the Tesco (grocery store) next to my flat where I’ll pick up my keys (remember most businesses are taking the day off), then to my flat. Later tomorrow a rental car (what they call a hire car) will be delivered. I’ll use that hire car for the week until I pick up my permanent car in Derby (a train ride away).

They’re beginning to board the flight. Wish me luck. My next post will be from Bristol, UK.

No comments: