Thursday, June 5, 2008

Settling In...

Good evening everyone. Well… I’ve been in the UK for a bit over a week now and all is well. I just got back from having dinner with some colleagues from Derby and Germany at a nearby curry house. For those of you who don’t know, curry is Indian food, and a curry house is a restaurant that serves Indian food. The UK has a substantial Indian population and has in some ways adopted curry as a national dish. It’s very popular here and curry houses are not uncommon. The food’s quiet good. In fact, I prefer curry over most of the UK’s attempts at traditional ‘American’ food. I tried a dish tonight that lit up my mouth like no other. Whew!!! Anyhow, anyone that comes to visit is in for a night at the curry house.

Probably the most interesting (and fun) thing I’ve been up to since I arrived is driving. As I’m sure you’re aware, in the UK you drive on the left side of the road and the steering wheel is on the right side of the car. However, the foot pedals, gear shift and steering wheel controls (turn signal, windshield wipers, etc.) are arranged the same as in the States. Before my first drive I was a little unsure how awkward all these differences would feel, but I seem to have picked it up rather quickly and am enjoying the challenge. (Knock on wood) With that said, you do have to pay much more attention when driving here. The streets are much narrower and there are always cars parked along at least one side of the road (if not both). I’ve never driven so fast so closely to stationary, or for that matter, other moving objects than I have this past week. The road’s centerline is merely a suggestion. In addition, there are far more motorcycles, bicycles, and walkers with which to contend. If you were to drop those UK riders and walkers into US traffic they would be getting hit left and right. Either they are taking a lot more risk here or the average UK driver is much more attentive. I would say it’s a little of both. Granted since I’m a new driver I’m probably paying a lot more attention than the average native UK driver, but you can’t get in your car and turn off your brain like you can in the States. Here you always have to be on your toes. Last Friday I left work early to drive up to Derby to exchange my temporary hire car (rental) for a more permanent leased car (a Ford Focus). Normally that’s about a 2-1/2 hour trip. Admittedly it took me a bit longer, but it was a great lesson on reading street signs and finding my way about. There’s no such thing as a straight road here. Where in the States our roads are more or less north/south or east/west, here they are every which direction. As a result, that sense of direction in the back of you mind (guys, you know what I’m talking about… ladies, maybe not) gets mixed up and before you know it you have no idea which way you’re going. And to add to the confusion, the same street is always changing names. One block it will be called Park. A block later the same street will be called Victoria. What gives? In the States you give directions by saying, “Go north on X until you hit Y. Turn left and head west until you reach Z.” I’m not surer how you would give someone directions here.

I apologize for the not so routine posts. Like I said, I have yet to get the internet here in my flat so I’ve been going to a nearby pub and using their free wi-fi. But most of that time is spent trying to keep Low Cost afloat. That has been difficult with limited internet. Anyhow, once I have the internet up and running in my flat I should be able to post more regularly.

Hope this post finds you all well,
- Indy ExPat

No comments: